For the longest time, burgundy makeup was relegated to lips-only territory. And even then, it was labelled as goth or Halloween-style. But when red makeup started to pop up on the runway and the red carpet, it was only a matter of time before makeup trends shifted and burgundy makeup got its moment in the sun. And it was worth the wait, because this colour lends both elegance and edge. Here’s a burgundy makeup tutorial that will work for everyone.
Burgundy Makeup 101
Here are three ways you can add rich burgundy to your makeup look. Try it on your lashes, eyelids or lips for a runway-inspired fall look.
Here’s a burgundy makeup tutorial with Mariam from @Rahmanbeauty.
- Start with your eye makeup. The best eyeshadow palettes offer colours ranging from light to deep, allowing you to experiment with a look like this one on Mariam from @Rahmanbeauty. Are you wondering how to apply burgundy eyeshadow? It’s not much different from how you would apply a darker, more traditional colour like black or brown. Start by applying a matte terracotta shade, such as L’Oréal Paris Colour Riche Mono Eyeshadow in Acro-Matte 306. Apply it directly to the eyelid crease as a transition shade.
- Then, apply the smooth-gliding L’Oréal Paris Colour Riche Mono Eyeshadow in Matte-Ison Avenue 308 all over eyelids and along the lower lash line. Make sure to cover the entire lid, keeping the edges of the burgundy eyeshadow neat.
- Add a crispness to your burgundy eyeshadow look by lining your upper eyelid waterline with L’Oréal Paris Infallible Longwear Eye Pencil in Black.
- Finish your eye makeup by applying at least two coats of L’Oréal Paris Voluminous Original Mascara in Burgundy to both upper and lower lashes. Finish by tracing L’Oréal Paris Infallible Longwear Eye Pencil in Black along your lower lash line.
- Tie the entire burgundy makeup look together with a matte burgundy lipstick, such as L’Oréal Paris Infallible Pro Matte Liquid Lipstick in Roseblood. Take your time and use a mirror; you’ll want to make sure the edges are extra-crisp so the colour really stands out and looks polished.
Burgundy makeup for beginners:
Is the above look a bit too dramatic for your taste? Here are a few ways you can sample the trend without diving in too deep:
● On the lashes: For a subtle yet powerful look, do your makeup as you normally would but swap your black mascara for a burgundy mascara.
● Mix a burgundy matte lipstick with a creamy nude lipstick for a hint of burgundy without the intensity.
● Swipe on a clear lip balm and then dab some matte burgundy lipstick on top with your finger to create a subtle French-girl lip stain.
● Instead of tight-lining your eyes with black eyeliner, change it up and use deep burgundy. Only those who really look into your eyes will notice the difference!
● Build slowly. Try a mascara and an eyeliner in a burgundy shade for a few days at first, and then ease into the burgundy eyeshadow. After a couple of days, take it to the next level and add matte lipstick for a complete burgundy makeup look.
Burgundy makeup rules
1. Burgundy is a beautiful shade that is considered both warm and cool. Because of its dual nature, it works well on all skin tones—from the fairest complexions to the deepest skin tones.
2. Burgundy is bold—so take your time and use caution when applying it. It can go from gorgeous to garish if it’s applied in a slapdash, rushed fashion.
3. Burgundy pairs beautifully with caramel, navy blue, black, beige and, most beautifully, gold.
Even though burgundy makeup is bold and intense, it’s also refined and glamorous. So the next time you’re in the mood to spice up your makeup for a night out or a special event, put that classic cherry red lipstick down and try a burgundy hue instead!