If you have curly hair, you either embrace it wholeheartedly or wish to the hair gods that things were different. Our stance? Curls are a blessing, but, we admit, they can be tricky. If you have naturally curly, kinky or coiled hair, you already know that it’s not just a hair texture—it’s a lifestyle.
You can think of everyone in the curly hair community as completely individual because no one curly hair texture is the same. Which means if you ask any curly-haired individual what’s in their hair, each one will have a myriad of different curl creams, oils and sprays that they’re cocktailing. This list often gets tweaked and improved upon depending on the season or even based on that day’s weather. Some days, curls are perfectly defined and serving up bouncy ringlet realness. Other days, getting curls to stay clumped together is like herding cats. Conclusion: Creating a good curl can take a whole lot of work!
Now that we’ve established that natural curls aren’t the easiest to manage, it should be noted that they do hold a secret power. Curly hair performs beautifully in updos. Need proof? This curly hairstyle doesn’t require any heat tools. All you need is a few well-placed bobby pins, a good curl definer (we love L’Oréal Paris Stylista #Curl Defining Spray) and L’Oréal Paris Elnett Satin Hairspray. This look is great for a night out, but it’s also the perfect hair hack on days where your curls are starting to look greasy or perhaps you need some help to tame frizz.
Get the look:
Despite appearances, it doesn’t get much easier than this eye-catching half-and-half French twist. Sure, you could do this with straight hair, but we think the hairstyle is even more flattering paired with a naturally curly texture. Curious to try this red-carpet-worthy look on your own? Here’s how!
- Awaken your curls and help define texture by spraying (and then scrunching) L’Oréal Paris Stylista #Curl Defining Spray into your hair. If you have time, let hair air-dry because the less fussing you do with curls the less frizz will crop up. If you’re in a rush, you can use a diffuser. The dispersed airflow won’t cause frizz when drying curls. The alcohol-free L’Oréal Paris Stylista #Curl Defining Spray will give you long-lasting shape, major shine and curls with that coveted bounce.
- Next, using your finger or a wide-tooth comb, rake strands away from your face (from ear to ear) into a mid-height ponytail, but don’t secure with an elastic.
- Start twisting the gathered hair in one hand; twist tightly close to the scalp, working your way down.
- Insert bobby pins horizontally into the base of the twist, which should be at the centre of the back of your head. When you slide the bobby pin into your hair, the wavy side should be against your scalp; it will grip better and stay in place. Once you’ve pinned the twist, use your fingers to style the bottom half of your hair to blend in with the rest that you left out of the gathering.
- Once the twist is secure, spray L’Oréal Paris Elnett Satin Hairspray. It will lock in the style and bestow it with incredible shine.