There’s nothing like a good colour refresh to break free from your hair rut. Luckily, there’s plenty of inspiration to be found on the red carpet. Now more than ever, adventurous shades reign supreme so you don’t have to settle for a shade that doesn’t quite work for you. From playful pastels to sophisticated brunette hues, there’s something out there for everyone. If you’re ready to shake things up, read on for the best red carpet hair and hair colour trends.
The Most Popular Shades on the Red Carpet
If you need help choosing your next hair colour, these are the celebrity-approved hair shades that’ll help you steal the spotlight.
COPPER: This fiery hair shade makes a dramatic statement whether you prefer staying on the red side or covet a darker blonde.
DARK CHOCOLATE: A brilliant brown hue that boasts rich colour, dimension and high-shine.
CARAMEL BROWN: Caramel highlights give brown hair a warm, sun-kissed touch.
HONEY BLONDE: This blonde hair colour is all about showing off whisper-soft golden highlights.
ASH BLONDE: A cool blonde shade that possesses a grey undertone.
STRAWBERRY BLONDE: This pretty shade strikes the perfect balance between golden blonde and soft red.
How to Colour Your Hair Before A Big Event
Select your timeline: Make sure to colour your hair at least a week or two before a big event to leave enough time for the colour to settle in. You also want to give yourself room to deal with any mistakes.
Pick your shade: Remember to leave drastic changes to a colourist. If the shade you pick requires you to go more than two shades darker or lighter than your natural hair colour, enlist the help of a pro at a salon who will be able to guide you through the process. L’Oréal Paris Superior Preference is a permanent hair colour that will give you up to eight weeks of luminous, fade-free colour and comes in over 50 different shades. Use the colour guide on the side of the box, which is the best indicator of the colour you’ll get.
Prepare your at-home colour kit: Once you’ve chosen your colour, set up a work area. You’ll need gloves, a comb, clips to section your hair and towels (to keep the dye from staining your clothes and skin). If you have longer hair, you may require two boxes instead of one.
Follow the instructions: Not all box dyes are the same, which is why it’s important to follow the directions on the packaging. Doing so will prevent errors and colour faux-pas.
How to Maintain Your New Hair Colour
Now that you’ve dyed your hair, it’s time to make sure your freshly coloured strands lasts in between your dye sessions. Here are our top tips for keeping your hair looking fresh, vibrant and healthy.
- Swap out your regular shampoo and conditioner for a colour-treated formulas that are designed specifically for dyed hair like L’Oréal Paris Color Radiance Shampoo and Conditioner. If you’re blonde, look for a purple shampoo to help keep brassiness at bay. L’Oréal Paris EverPure Blonde Shade Reviving Treatment neutralizes unwanted brassy tones in blondes while adding a nourishing kick to strands.
- How quickly your hair colour fades also depends on how often you wash it. If you tend to wash your hair often, try spritzing on a dry shampoo like L’Oréal Paris Magic Invisible Dry Shampoo to help absorb excess oil and buildup.
- Coloured hair needs extra TLC so stock up on a deep-conditioning hair mask and use it at least once a week. Look for ingredients like oils and butters that’ll moisturize and nourish your hair.
- Ease up on the curling iron or hair straightener. When you do use heat styling tools, apply L’Oréal Paris Stylista #Blowdry Heat Protective Primer beforehand to prevent breakage and minimize damage.
- Air dry your hair whenever you can. Excessive heat from the hair dryer can also lead to dryness and dullness.
- If you’re jumping into the swimming pool, watch out for chlorine, which will set your hair colour on the fast-track to fading. A quick and easy way to enjoy the pool while still keeping your colour vibrant is using a hair mask just before you take a dip.