Hairstyles come and go, but one thing you can always count on is the confidence boost you’ll get from a hairdo that instantly turns heads. Whether you are searching for a party-season look or preparing for prom or have your eye out for a wedding hairstyle, we’ve got you covered with four fresh-off-the-runway updos, plus step-by-step hair tutorials on how to recreate each hairdo at home using the best hair styling products.
How to do a messy bun
The hairdo: Not sure how to do an updo? This effortless-looking style is the perfect place to start. Undeniably chic and decidedly less fussy than a French twist updo, the messy bun is a catwalk hit, from low and twisted to perched atop on the crown of the head.
The messy bun tutorial:
- Rough it up with texturizing spray. Messy buns are all about that laissez-faire look, so the trick is to start with strands that are anything but smooth. After the shower, spritz on some texturizing spray (we love L’Oréal Paris Stylista #Beachwaves Texturizing Mist ) and roughly blow-dry your hair using your fingers instead of a round brush.
- Create your base. After the hair texture spray has worked its magic, flip your head upside down and gather your hair into a loose ponytail, as high or as low as you like. Don’t worry if your hair isn’t perfectly slicked back—a few bumps are all part of the charm.
- Fasten into place. Spin your hair around the base of the ponytail and secure it with bobby pins. Be sure to leave the tail sticking out for a perfectly undone look.
Braid your hair for a bold look
The hairdo: One of the ultimate updos for long hair, the runway’s woven wonders ranged from super-tight and super-long to deconstructed and bow-tied. (Hello, wedding hair!) Prefer a low updo hairstyle? Take a cue from the runways and braid your hair so it splits off from a bun.
How to braid hair:
- Skip the shower. Believe it or not, the best way to get a handle on braiding your hair is when it’s slightly dirty, since freshly washed strands tend to slip through your fingers and lack the texture they need to stay put.
- Get a grip with some hair smoothing serum. Apply a hair styling product, like L’Oréal Paris Stylista #Sleek Smoothing Serum [Link to: https://www.lorealparis.ca/en/products/hair-styling/cream-paste-and-wax/stylista-sleek-200ml/], to give your hair some hold and healthy-looking shine.
- Weave it. Divide the hair you want to braid into three sections, and then cross one end over the middle and under the other end, alternating from side to side. Secure the end with an invisible elastic, and then gently loosen the braid for a romantic look or leave it tightly woven for a more modern effect.
The punk pouf hairstyle
The hairdo: If you’re wondering how to do an updo for prom, look no further than this grungy-glam hairstyle. One of the most standout updo hairstyles of the season, the punk pouf will instantly take your look to new heights, and all you need is a brush and some volumizing spray. Whether you go lightly teased or a bold half-up bouffant, this statement style is among the top easy updos to do yourself. And because the key to this hairdo is a whole lot of teasing rather than length, it’s also one of the best updos for short hair.
The punk pouf hair tutorial:
- Go big. Tease the crown section of your hair with a soft-bristled brush, starting at the midway point and brushing down toward your roots to create major volume.
- Divide and conquer. Tracing out from your temples, pull your hair back into a half ponytail and secure with a barrette or an elastic.
- Seal the deal with volumizing products. Gently pull up the hair on top to give it more of a rock-chic vibe, and then set the look with a volumizing powder or spray such as a flexible-hold product like Elnett Satin hair spray.
The twisted ponytail
The hairdo: A cool spin on the classic ponytail, this twisted take is the perfect party look or wedding hairstyle. It’s super-stylish and surprisingly easy to do, and whether you wear this hairdo high up or as a low updo is up to you!
The twisted ponytail hair tutorial:
- Pony up. Gather your hair into a ponytail and secure with a thick elastic.
- Flip it. Secure a thin hair elastic two inches below the base of your ponytail. Next, separate the hair above the smaller elastic, flip the tail over top and pull through. Repeat farther down if you have the length.
- Twist to perfection with some hair cream wax. Apply a bit of flexible hold hair styling product, such as L’Oréal Paris Stylista #Pixie Shaping Cream-Wax, to small sections of hair from the tail and wrap them around your ponytail, tucking the ends into the elastics.
Now you don’t have to choose between looking your best and dancing all night. With these four updo hairstyles, it’s always a win-win!