Having short hair doesn’t mean you have to be short on hairstyle inspiration or styling options. A quick scroll through Pinterest or Instagram proves that shorter ’dos like bobs and long bobs (also known as the “lob”) are some of the most versatile haircuts around. Both haircuts sit above the shoulders, falling somewhere between the chin and the collarbone. There are also different variations of the cut, which makes them anything but boring: razor-sharp blunt bobs, soft, face-framing curls, bobs with feathered ends and banged lobs are just a few of the options that are available and can suit your individual style.
The cut works for all hair textures, whether straight, curly or wavy, has great movement and lets you experiment with different styles like smooth and sleek, beachy waves or defined curls. But the most important takeaway? The cropped cut possesses an effortless and thoroughly modern quality that doesn’t require too much fussing on the days you feel lazy. (It’s one of the easiest haircuts to wash and wear!) Now that you’re primed on the all the pros of bobs and lobs, read on to learn how to dress up short hair in this step-by-step guide.
Can bobs and lobs be glamorous?
If you only associate red-carpet-worthy hair with long, cascading Veronica Lake-esque waves and super-sleek, back-grazing ponytails, it’s time to think again. A shorter ’do can be just as glamorous as a longer hairstyle. Just take a look at French actress Leila Bekhti, who showed off a glamorous textured bob as she walked the red carpet at the Cannes Film Festival this year. Her glam, perfectly tousled hairstyle struck just the right balance between lived in and impossibly chic. With proper styling and the right products, you can make an equally stylish statement with a bob or lob.
Key products to create the look
A texturizing spray is essential for creating effortless waves. Enlist the help of L’Oréal Paris Stylista #Beachwaves Texturizing Mist, which will give you beachy texture without drying out your hair. Also, be sure to pick up a can of L’Oréal Paris Elnett Hairspray. It will lock your hairstyle in place while still leaving you with soft and touchable strands.
How to create a glam textured bob: a step-by-step tutorial
- Start with damp strands that have been shampooed and conditioned, and then rough-dry your hair. Put your hairbrush aside, though, because you want the opposite of the perfect smooth blowout.
- Generously spritz L’Oréal Paris Stylista #Beachwaves Texturizing Mist from the roots to the ends and then gently scrunch your hair. The spray will enhance your hair’s natural wave while still keeping it soft and touchable, creating a base for your look.
- Using a curling iron, take small sections of your hair and twist them away from your face, letting the hair slide out. Pro tip: The less uniform the waves, the better; otherwise, your hair will look too perfectly polished.
- After letting your hair cool, use your fingers or a detangling comb to break up the waves.
- Set the look with a misting of L’Oréal Paris Elnett Hairspray.