Whether you’re wearing a mask as a frontline worker or in solidarity, here are some tips to make it more comfortable and better for your skin.
Before putting on your mask
- Cleanse. It is important to cleanse your skin before putting on a mask to get rid of any existing dirt or bacteria. Bacteria thrives in humid environments, and the humidity behind the mask is a perfect place for them to live. We recommend using a gentle cleanser to start the day on a clean canvas:
- In your 20s L’Oréal Paris Micellar Water
- In your 30s & 40s L’Oréal Paris Revitalift Cream Cleanser
- In your 50s and 60s L’Oréal Paris Age Perfect Milk Lotion
- Moisturize. It’s important to moisturize because wearing a mask leaves your skin dehydrated. Once you have perfectly cleansed skin, it’s time to apply your favourite serum and moisturizer. Since the bottom half of your face will be behind the protection of a mask for a prolonged period of time, it’s a great opportunity for it to soak in all of the active ingredients in your skincare. We recommend using our Revitalift Triple Power LZR 1.5% Hyaluronic Acid serum and then following up with our Revitalift Triple Power LZR Fragrance Free Moisturizer. Make sure you let the serum and moisturizer sit for 30 minutes before placing your mask on so you don’t have a slick surface for the mask to shift around on. It’s also important to remember, that while we slowly transition back to going outside and enjoying the warmer weather, your skin hasn’t had the gradual exposure to sun like it’s used to. The top half of your face, forehead and eyes, will still be exposed to so make sure to protect your exposed skin from the sun with our Revitalift Triple Power LZR SPF 30 Day Cream and give your eyes some TLC with our Revitalift Triple Power LZR Eye Cream.
After taking off your mask
- Cleanse again. After removing your mask in a safe, and secure manner and properly cleaning your hands, proceed to cleanse your face again. This is a very important step since there is a lot of moisture and heat that will have accumulated during your time wearing a mask. We recommend going back in with the same gentle cleanser you used before applying the mask and cleanse thoroughly. If you want to add an extra step to your cleansing, we recommend starting with either our Revitalift Cleansing Cloths, if you’re in your 30s & 40s, or our Age Perfect Cleansing Wipes, if you’re in your 50s & 60s.
- Moisturize again. Follow up after cleansing with your preferred serum and night moisturizer routine. Wearing a mask all day causes marks on your face, so it is important to treat your skin with a powerful and hydrating night cream to repair overnight. We recommend Revitalift Triple Power LZR Overnight Mask for triple anti-aging action and deep-wrinkle treatment or Age Perfect Rosy Cooling Night Cream to soothe your skin and reboost your skin with moisture and a rosy tone.
Like everything, change takes time, but we hope that with these new tools in your arsenal, your skin will feel more comfortable behind the mask and you can continue to protect yourselves and others.