There’s no denying it: Red lipstick is a power move. The shade has long been a symbol of female empowerment because it sends a message—several, really. Red lips are sexy, bold and just straight-up commanding.
It’s no wonder this timeless beauty staple is beloved by so many; it requires little effort but delivers a serious payoff. However, as timeless as it is, there’s always room for some modernization. Jodi Urichuk, L’Oréal Paris Canadian Makeup Artist & Expert, who created this unstoppable look, says it’s all about the finish. Give your basic red lippy an update with a high-shine finish. Shop for liquid lipsticks that have a glasslike finish or a balm-style lipstick that delivers loads of shine while still packing a ton of pigment.
Celebrities are embracing this glossier version and pairing it with metallic lids and bold groomed brows, much like the makeup executed by Urichuk. But eyes and brows aside, to pull off this look it’s all about precision—and making sure that lipstick is painted on right. Read on for your step-by-step guide on how to master a high-shine red lip.
Muted metallic eyes paired with glossy red lips may sound extravagant, but when it’s done right, it’s an unstoppable beauty look. Jodi Urichuk, L’Oréal Paris Canadian Makeup Artist & Expert, dishes on the products and techniques she used to create this look.
- Apply your foundation of choice to get a smooth, even canvas for your makeup look. If you have areas that require more coverage, reach for a concealer to cover any blemishes or darkness under your eyes.
- Beef up your brows by drawing in dashlike strokes to mimic your natural hairs and softly filling in any sparse areas with a pencil like L’Oréal Paris Brow Stylist Definer. It comes in five colours and has an ultra-fine tip, which is perfect for recreating tiny brow hairs. Choose a colour that best matches your brows.
- Brush L’Oréal Paris L’Oréal Paris Brow Stylist Boost & Set into your brows using an upward motion. This will help set the pencil and give brows an overall fuller look.
- Trace your lip line with L’Oréal Paris L’Oréal Paris Colour Riche Matte Lip Pencil in In Matte-uated With You and then use it to fill your lips in entirely. Doing this ensures that when the lipstick on top wears off, the colour underneath, rather your actual lip, shows through.
- Swipe L’Oréal Paris L’Oréal Paris Colour Riche Shine in Enamel Red directly from the tube on lips or use a lip brush. This glossy lipstick delivers on long-lasting shine and serious hydration because it’s infused with oil.
- Dust L’Oréal Paris Colour Riche Mono in Acro-Matte across lids.
- Using a brush, apply L’Oréal Paris L’Oréal Paris Infallible 24HR Mono Eyeshadow in Silver Sky around the inner corners of the eyes, blending into the upper creases.
- Using L’Oréal Paris L’Oréal Paris Telescopic Mascara, place the wand against the base of your lashes and wiggle it back and forth a little. The idea is to get most of the product to the roots, which will make your lashes look longer and keep them from getting weighed down on the tips.
Pro tip: Love a bold lip but want to make sure you don’t get colour on your teeth? Place your index finger in your mouth, close your lips around it and then slowly pull it out. Any lipstick that was in danger of ending up on your teeth will now be on your finger.