- GIVE YOURSELF TIME
Technology in skincare has come a long way, and it has trickled into some amazing and easy-to-use tanning products. You can effortlessly achieve the kind of gorgeous glow that professional spray tanners are known for without ever leaving your home. Before you reach for a self-tanner like L’Oréal Paris Sublime Bronze Self-Tanning Water Mousse, you need to budget your time, ensuring that you have a least a half-hour to apply the self-tanning lotion or spray. Remember: This isn’t a beauty treatment that you can do on your way out the door, like swiping on lipstick.
- MOISTURIZE, MOISTURIZE, MOISTURIZE
Give your skin a boost of moisture 24 hours before and after you apply your self-tanning lotion, mist or water. While these products are all moisturizing, ensuring that your DIY spray tan stays in place also depends on how you prep skin before and after the application process.
- SET THE SCENE
Find a place in your home that has a mirror and plenty of counter space. Don’t forget some extra towels! Consider how you want your tan to look—do you want the tan-line effect, or do you want to be seamlessly golden? If you’re after the tan-line version, put on your favourite swimsuit and blend the product toward the edges of the suit when you’re applying. The towels can be used to buff in product or protect your surrounding area from getting a tan, too.
FIND YOUR FORMULA
Your tanning application preference is as unique as you are. Here are three self-tanning products that deliver a flawless glow in seconds.
For the beauty enthusiast:
L’Oréal Paris Sublime Bronze Self-Tanning Water Mousse: If spray formulas aren’t your thing, (even though you love the finished product), this water-mousse formula might be your new BFF. It applies easily and evenly, bathing skin in a beautiful bronze. This water mousse is also hydrating, giving your skin a boost of much-needed moisture. And while it’s moisturizing, it’s also quick-drying, giving you the freedom to get on with your day. The coconut scent is a welcome treat, too!
For the on-the-go gal:
If you’d rather keep your hands free of product when applying a faux glow, look for a spray-on version that delivers colour and dries in a flash, like L’Oréal Paris Sublime Bronze Self-Tanning Mist. The bottle design was inspired by salon airbrush tanning; it has a 360-degree wide-angle applicator to ensure you’re getting into all of those tricky areas, like the backs of your knees and your shoulder blades. The best part? The mist dries down evenly so you don’t have to rub it in.
For the workout queen:
If you’re faithful to lotions, L’Oréal Paris Sublime Bronze Tinted Self-Tanning Lotion is loaded with skincare ingredients, such as AHAs and vitamin E, to soften skin while giving it a natural-looking bronze hue. This one is easy to control: The formula itself is tinted, so you can see where you’ve applied it. Because this self-tanning lotion is transfer-free, it won’t smudge or stain your clothes. But the best part might just be that it’s quick-drying and waterproof, so you can go for a dip in the pool later (or hit the gym) without rinsing off your tan. The search for the best tanning lotion is over!
SUNLESS TANNING DOs and DON’Ts
- If your skin is super-dry and flaky, don’t go near a self-tanning lotion or spray until you’ve done a proper exfoliation, paying special attention to the driest zones. These are usually the knees, elbows and ankles. Spend time giving skin a good scrub with either a wet washcloth or a granulated body scrub and be sure to focus on those spots.
- Areas of the body that have creases—such as the inside of your arms or behind your knees—are warmer and tend to streak if too much product is applied.
- Designate a towel in your closet to be your tanning support cloth: Use it every time you tan, to avoid leaving copper streaks on all of your linens.
- Once you’re fully dry, reach for items in your wardrobe that are darker in colour and on the looser side—if you’re wearing something ultra-clingy, it may increase your body temperature and leaving you sweating off the product.
Now you’re all set to achieve a professional-looking tan without making a trip to the salon or spa. Because when you glow, you glow.