In a word, ’80s style—in both fashion and beauty—was “extra.” The decade gifted us with massive shoulder pads, pink frosted lipstick, neon Lycra and electric-blue eyeshadow. This season, the latter is back in a big way thanks to social media stars and celebrities rocking blue lids on the red carpet and on Instagram.
Not long ago, blue eyeshadow was considered a bigger faux pas than wearing socks with sandals, but now shades of sapphire, teal and aqua are smoking hot. These cool eyeshadow shades were put to the test this past awards season, where droves of stars embraced shades of blue on their lids, along their lash lines and on their eyelashes. Jodi Urichuk, L’Oréal Paris Canadian Makeup Artist & Expert, created this red-carpet-worthy look. She’s a big fan of the colour because not only is it surprisingly versatile but it also has the magical ability to brighten bloodshot eyes and neutralize sallow-looking skin.
Pulling off the iconic hue does require some consideration, though. Darker complexions should choose a blue eyeshadow with gold flecks (think aquamarine), whereas folks with pale skin should opt for cooler versions with silver flecks (think sky blue). As for placement? Try wading into the trend by tracing your upper or lower (not both at the same time) lash line with a blue eye pencil or eyeshadow. Amp up the drama with a wash of metallic indigo on lids, smoking it out at the edges to create a tapered edge, just like Urichuk did.
Yes, you can wear blue eyeshadow, and here’s how. Here, Urichuk shares the products and steps you need to recreate this look at home.
- First, use concealer on your lids to neutralize the undertones. Try L’Oréal Paris L’Oréal Paris Infallible Full Wear Concealer. The waterproof formula not only gives full coverage but it’s also non-greasy, which means it’s also a great eyeshadow primer.
- Dust a smoky aquamarine base across the lids using the middle shade in L’Oréal Paris L’Oréal Paris La Petite Palette in Optimist.
- Next, follow up with a darker shade of blue (use the middle shade in L’Oréal Paris L’Oréal Paris La Petite Palette in Stylist), blending it into the centre of the lids and in the creases. Continue brushing and blending it out past the outer corners.
- Next, drag a green or dark-blue eyeliner from the inner to the outer corners of your We love L’Oréal Paris L’Oréal Paris Infallible Pro-Lash Waterproof Eyeliner in Forest Green. This pencil eyeliner glides on easily and leaves a rich, smudge-resistant colour that lasts.
- Apply a few coats of the iconic L’Oréal Paris L’Oréal Paris Voluminous Original Mascara in Cobalt Blue.
L’Oréal Paris Pro tip: Make sure your eyes are the focal point, and keep the rest of your makeup polished and fresh. Add a dusting of blush on cheeks, and swipe lips with a sheer, conditioning coat of shine. Urichuk used L’Oréal Paris Colour Riche Plump & Shine in Lychee Plump.